Saturday 14 January 2012

Step 1

The biggest step so far is done - I've handed in my notice! I'm sad to leave Avanti, I've built up a lot of strong friendships there, but it feels like the timing is right. Liisa and I have also had plenty of time to consider our decision, having first thought of all of this back in August.

After much researching, and hitting a few brick walls on the way, I managed to land a Finance Consultant Volunteering role for me with SolarAid in Dar Es Salaam, structured through A f I D and VSO. SolarAid is a fantastic organisation, and as they have a head office in London I've met the staff here and really have a good feel for them.

Liisa meanwhile will be going over with her primary focus on starting up her freelance translating business. Once she has a laptop and the internet she can do that from anywhere in the world. So where better than a tropical beach with temperatures in the high 20s to early 30s?!

When in Tanzania, the working language will be English, which is a relief! We will however undertake Swahili lessons. Liisa, and her knack for picking up languages, will soon become probably the only person in the world who can translate from Swahili into Finnish!

First up, I will remain with Avanti until early April before moving to Tanzania, and I have no doubt the time will fly. There's plenty still to organise - I need to complete VSO's training with a couple of trips to Birmingham, fundraising, working visas, accomodation, make sure I get home enough to see my new nephew Padraic, arrange my shots & malaria, and make the most of the weekends I have left!

My 3 years in London have flown by, and I may very well be back one day. It's been brilliant.

Hadi wakati mwingine!




Tom Peilow

No comments:

Post a Comment