Monday 21 May 2012

Trip to Kilimanjaro


"S1" desktop Solar Light
Hello again, this time from Moshi on the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro. Solar Aid have sent me up to here to work with the Sales Team and see how everything operates when they’re away from Dar.

As a bit of background, Solar Aid has targeted getting 360,000 solar-lights into the hands of Tanzanians, the majority being school-children throughout the country. The most common of these is the S1 Solar Light, and is sold for a subsidised price of 10,000 Shillings (around £4).

What I can assure you is that demand for the product is phenomenal. One of the biggest problems facing Solar Aid is ensuring they can simply get enough stock out to the team in the field. Keeping in mind that Tanzanian Infrastructure is still developing, the logistics of sending thousands of lights up from Dar es Salaam can be challenging. Oh the perils of such a popular product!

With the Sales Team in Moshi. About to go for a
well-earned meal after a week selling 6,000 solar lights
I’ve had a brilliant week with the team here and I managed to get involved in the sales processes themselves, giving me ample opportunity to practise my Kiswahilli with the locals. I’m still finding the language much easier to read or write, than speak or listen beyond very simple vocabulary, but I guess that’s just the way it is for a beginner! My aim is to become intermediate / conversational by the end of the year.

Liisa, never one to be put off by a ten hour bus journeys, has joined me in Moshi – one of the benefits of translating only requiring email, making her flexible for such trips!


Trading off English lessons
for Kiswahili ones
The whole area has been beautifully green (thanks to the recent Rainy Season), and it’s been brilliant to just take walks around everywhere.


We’ve stayed in a couple of towns in the region, and in some, where Westeners are certainly more of a rarity, we do get “Mzungu-ed” a lot (© Liisa Peltonen) i.e. when you walk by you can hear people talking about the “Mzungu”, or simply shouting out “Mzungu!”. Other times it’s children saying “Good Morning” (or my personal favourite “Good Morning Class”) Also, the fact it’s four in the afternoon doesn’t seem to matter!
Not a bad old view of Kili from our hotel room

Where we’ve been staying in Moshi, we’ve been lucky enough to wake up and be greeted to a breath-taking view of Mount Kilimanjaro. I start to consider climbing it again, although I’ve still not forgotten last time when at the top I swore  “Too tiring - never again!”

Now, however, we must get back to Dar. 99% of things in Tanzania are 'pole pole' ('slowly slowly'). Bus-driving, however, is not one of them. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the bus journey - our trip to Malawi will be a guesstimated 24 hours :D

    ReplyDelete